Get infected by the multicultural vibrant vibes of Berlin
I love to get inspirations about food and lifestyle in this city. Berlin has it all. The city is vibrant and full of hidden little places to eat and drink. What I admire is the multicultural vibes. They are in every angle of the city. The combination of cultural attractions, rounds off your city trip.
Honestly, I think we can let some of this colorful vibes flow into our Zurich food and coffee scene! It’s not only the atmosphere in a coffee, that makes you feel like Alice in Wonderland it’s also the way food and drinks are prepared and presented. There is no limits to creativity! The mix is fantastic, you have a high class coffeeshop with lots of luxury on one side, next to it a professional little pasta place that has it’s own manufacture in the restaurant where you can shop and eat.
Where to go and what to eat in Berlin
- Get a paper map or download a pdf of the map on ooohBerlin They have a selected choice of places to eat and shop divided by “Kiez” or let’s say areas of Berlin. Small places you wouldn’t find by yourself.
- Book an airbnb, there are many! Choose Prenzlauerberg if you like a more quite area, but it’s full of great coffee shops and vintage lifestyle shops. Berlin Mitte is great, to stay, too. It’s obviously more central. But lot’s of shopping and food around here, too.
- Go visit the East side Gallery and the Gedenkstätte Berliner Mauer and get involved into this important part of Germany’s history. Get also to the Brandenburger Tor, it’s worth.
- Go visit die Hackeschen Höfe. They are in the historic “Scheunenviertel” or “barn district” in the Spandau suburb of Berlin-Mitte and represent the largest courtyard area of Germany. They are under a preservation order since 1972. The courtyards located across from the Hackeschen Market a great street market. Find cool lifestyle brands and great food stores in the building complex. The famous coffee shop Ben Rahim is there, too with it’s amazing specialty coffee.
Coffee shops, drinks, food
- Get your breakfast at Suicide Sue. Their spreads of fresh red beet or avocado peppermint are amazing. The bred is fresh and absolutely tasty. Find also a great selection of pancakes. It’s located at Prenzlauerberg.
- An other place to have breakfast is the Bekarei also located at Prenzlauerberg. An absolute must try if you love pies and cakes and fresh bred. All is homemade and absolutely excellent.
- For drinks in the evening I absolutely recommend the bar Chaostheorie Berlin also at Prenzlauerberg. The ambience is super fancy, colorful and crazy kitsch. Their selection of drinks has it all. Order your Pussiedrink without feeling ashamed.
- My absolute favorite place to eat is the pasta factory and restaurant Tosatti also located at Prenzlauerberg. You can watch how pasta is made live and after 10 minutes you have it on your plate. All fresh made and with lot’s of love. Get introduced to the many types of Italian pasta and shapes! The ambience is very cozy, you feel like eating at Mama’s house. Order a coffee and get it in a small moca pot all for yourself. Absolutely recommend it! The staff is lovely and makes your food experience unforgettable.
What else to discover…
- Visit the Food Market Markthalle neun at Kreuzberg. On Thursdays is the street food day where you get international food from all over the world as well as a great selection of traditional German food. It’s absolutely worth exploring. Once you are there, explore the Kreuzberg area!
- Get a currywurst! It’s a must, I love it! If there is a long queue in front of the shop it’s a good sign, go for it, there are plenty in the city.